DUMBBELL GONE BAD
This workout is 3 x 4 min AMRAPS with a 1 min rest in between each AMRAP. So 14 minutes in total. There are two scores.
A = Total number of DB reps over the 3 AMRAPs
B = Total number of Ski Erg cals over the 3 AMRAPs
- 0-4 Min - 40/30 Cal ski buy in + AMRAP synchro alternating dumbbell snatch + Cal ski.
- 4-5 Min - Rest/reset.
- 5-9 Min - 40/30 Cal ski buy in + AMRAP synchro alternating dumbbell hang squat clean* + Cal ski.
- 9-10 Min Rest/reset.
- 10-14 Min - 40/30 Cal ski buy in + AMRAP synchro single arm dumbbell thruster + Cal ski.
SCORE PART A = TOTAL DB REPS
SCORE PART B = TOTAL SKI CALS
TURF GAMES BENCHMARK TEAM TOTAL (Mixed Team / 5 athletes - 3M/2F)
PART A = 211 REPS (74/63/74)
PART B = 307 CALS (107/103/97)
The workout is assuming 5 athletes per team.
LAYOUT - Ski Erg to be 6 metres from the dumbbells.
Elite - 25/17.5kg
Everyday - 20/12.5kg
- Men's and Mixed teams perform a 40 cal ski buy in. Women's teams perform a 30 cal ski buy in (dumbbell reps must NOT start until this buy in is complete at the start of each round)
- Mixed teams must perform synchro with a male/female athlete. It cannot be M/M or F/F on the synchro for mixed teams.
- The ski buy in must be completed before athletes begin the synchro dumbbell movements. There is no requirement for all athletes to touch the ski - it is up to the teams strategy
- The ski will continue to run for each 4 min AMRAP the total amount of calories accumulated will be the score for Part B (including the buy in cals)
- *Tip - Set the Ski to a 4min countdown at the start of each AMRAP and record the calories at the end of each 4 mins - this will also be your timer.
- As soon as the ski buy in is complete two athletes can move from the start line and reach the dumbbells.
- Only 2 athletes may work on the dumbbells at a time, the other 3 athletes must remain at the ski, rotating as they please.
- Athletes working on the dumbbells will accumulate max synchro reps in the remainder of each 4 minute window once the ski buy in is complete.
- *If you cannot perform a hang squat clean, you can substitute for goblet squats
- Teams may sub the athletes working on the dumbbells at any point however the working athlete must return to the start line to tag in the next athlete.
- There will be a 1 min rest/reset between each 4 minute AMRAP the ski will be reset during this time.
Synchro Alternating Dumbbell Snatch - Both heads of the dumbbell must make contact with the floor on each rep, athletes will then snatch the dumbbell to a full extended overhead position with legs straight hips open and arm straight with the dumbbell directly overhead. Synchro is at the top of the movement. Athletes must not use their free arm at any point to brace against any part of their body. Athletes must only alternate arms once the dumbbell is below eye level - VIDEO IS HERE
Synchro Alternating Dumbbell Hang Squat Clean - Athletes must first deadlift the dumbbell fully to a position where their legs are straight and hips are open before beginning the hang squat cleans. Athletes will then squat clean the dumbbell from the hang position, athletes must perform a full depth squat with hip crease below knee level and fully stand up the squat so that their legs are straight, hips are open and the dumbbell is in the front rack position. Athletes must alternate arms on each rep. Athletes are not permitted to use their free arm to brace against any part of their body or to help stabilise the dumbbell, if they do this will be a no rep. Synchro is at the bottom of the squat - VIDEO IS HERE
Synchro Single Arm Dumbbell Thruster - Athletes may squat clean the first rep. A full depth squat with hip crease below knee level is required, athletes must then stand up the squat fully and press the dumbbell to a fully extended overhead position with legs straight, hips open and arm straight with the dumbbell directly overhead. Athletes are not permitted to use their free arm to brace against any part of the body or stabilise the dumbbell. Synchro is at the top of the movement - VIDEO IS HERE